Hourglasses (shortened as HG) are considered the in-game currency of Mystic Messenger that the player can acquire either for free in-game or through in-game purchasing. While they are not necessary to progress, as you can go through the Casual Story perfectly fine without them, they can be very helpful. However, they are necessary to unlock the Deep Story and After Endings of the characters.
Prices for hourglasses will vary from country to country depending on the country's exchange rate with South Korea.
- Unlocking story-related content.
- Unlocking missed chatrooms (5 HG by standard, 15 HG for AS).
- Unlocking access to 24 hours' worth of chat rooms
- Original Story: 20 HG for day 1, 30 HG for day 2-4, and 50 HG for day 5-11
- Another Story: 15 HG per chatroom, SM not included
- Christmas DLC: 50 HG
- April Fool's DLC: Depends on the remaining chatrooms. Max is 70 HG, min is 7 HG. 7 HG is decreased every one less chatroom.
- Purchasing another save slot. (50 HG each)
- Calling the characters at any point in the game. (5 HG by standard, 10 HG for AS)
- See also: Phone Calls
- Load a save file (5 HG)
- Unlocking DLCs
- 100 HG for Christmas DLC
- 20 HG each character's Valentine's After Ending
- 60 HG for April Fool's DLC
How to Obtain
- Purchasing with real currency.
- Exchanging 100 hearts for 1 HG.
- 707's Spaceship.
- In random chat rooms, participated or not. Although there's a low % of getting HG when you don't participate. It is worth noting that some chat rooms have a higher chance to obtain HG than the others.
- Purchasing the VIP Package (1000 HG).
- Reading the RFA comments of the guests that have attended your party. (1 HG per guest, only at first read).
- Update wait-time compensation (10 is the standard, though amounts may vary)
- Reporting a glitch (Amount Varies)